Images

Images
"Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange." -Inception

Monday, May 21, 2012

Trailer Time: Gangster Squad, Skyfall, and Argo




Last year was the year of Ryan Gosling with three big name films and some occasional heroism on the side.  This year, he's back with an all-star cast featuring Sean Penn, Josh Brolin, Nick Nolte, Emma Stone, and Anthony Mackie in Gangster Squad, a look at the 1940s LAPD and their fight against the East Coast Mafia.  It looks explosive with the lines of good vs. bad quite blurred.  The cast alone is reason enough to tune in but the premise too looks intriguing.  Directed by Ruben Fleischer, the film releases on September 7, 2012 in the US.


Bond is back!  The first teaser for the film due to release this November came out today.  The 23rd Bond film, Skyfall, has MI6 Agent Bond facing yet another threat as he helps out as M is in trouble.  Hey, if this means more screen time for Judi Dench, I'm in.  The cast includes Daniel Craig in his third outing as Bond, Judi Dench, Ralph Fiennes, Naomie Harris, Berenice Marlohe and Javier Bardem.  I watched the trailer again to see if we are ever shown Bardem's face but I think that's him at the very end.  Keeping the villain under wraps until a later date, methinks.  Oscar winner Sam Mendes is handling the directorial duties for this latest Bond film.  


Also back for third time in the director's chair is Ben Affleck after two successful well made films, Gone Baby Gone and The Town.  This latest film, Argo, has Affleck doing double duty again as director and actor playing a CIA agent who has to extract 6 Americans working at the Embassy during the 1979 Iran hostage crisis.   For me, the trailer switched to a weird comedy angle midway when Affleck's character goes to Hollywood posing as a producer of sci-fi film Argo and decides the hostages will pose as his crew.  But as the trailer assures me, this is based on a true story so it must work out somehow.  I didn't like the trailer for The Town when it came out, it gave away too much of the story but it seemed fine during the film.  Here's hoping Argo goes the same way when it releases this October.  

2 comments:

  1. Not quite sold on Skyfall, pretty much not a fan of Bond and I think Craig is really overrated, but I'm really excited to see Gangster Squad and Argo. I actually loved the whole dark comedy/drama spin of Argo so I think it will be a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I'm intrigued to see how Sam Mendes is going to direct it, I'm not a big Bond fan too but I think Javier Bardem will make a worthy addition as villain to the film. But out of the three of them, I'm really looking forward to Gangster Squad as I like movies set in that era. These days, you can't tell everything from the trailer, but I hope Argo will turn out to be good on viewing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...